Monday, August 20, 2007

goal!

it's hard for me to believe that i've been breastfeeding the boys for over 6 months now. originally i set short term goals - one month at a time - and once we got to 4 months i upped the ante to 6. breastfeeding was such a challenge for us all that i truly didn't think we would make it past 4 months. endless pumping, EBM supplements, unhappy feedings (sometimes i would have to nurse them while bouncing on an exercise ball!). but something clicked just as we met our first goal and since then, nursing them has been a pleasure. now it seems like old hat, we're all so good at it!

i was always constantly worried about how much they were taking in, how much i was producing, etc. it feels so good to not have to think about that anymore. i know they are thriving and that i am giving them/they are taking exactly what they need. we still give them a bottle of formula before bed, mainly because now it is part of our routine and, quite frankly, it gives me a little break from boob circus (anyone who has ever witnessed tandem feeding with, let's just say, less-than-focused 6 mo. olds, you'll know what i mean). and now i only pump once before going to bed!

the boys always hold onto each other when they nurse, either holding hands or grabbing each other's arms or face. they smile, laugh and talk to each other. they smile, laugh and talk to me (and j when he's in the room). it's truly one of the most endearing times to interact with them. and while i do nurse them separately on occasion, and i do enjoy the ease and simplicity of it, i have to say we all do a lot better together.

my new goal is a year...or whenever the boys naturally wean themselves. i can honestly say that nursing these guys has been one of the most challenging things i have every done...but now i am definitely feeling all the rewards!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful and personal testament to the challenges and rewards of breastfeeding! Every new mother-to-be should read this as they consider whether they will or won't. Grandma LeeLee and Papa are so very proud of the mother you are!

The Adventures of Carrie, Brook, Finn and Reid said...

Wow! Great work!! I'm proud of you too, and I'll admit, a little envious. I remember reading your post (was it at the 7 week mark?) that you finally got them to latch after pumping for weeks straight....that was a couple weeks after I gave up on myself and the lactation consultants and just decided to pump instead. I wondered...if I had only given it a couple more weeks, would they have gotten it? Ahhhh...oh well! What's done is done and you've done an amazing job!!

I can only imagine what a boob circus it is! At this age, the boys are so distracted by anything. It's a wonder they even eat anymore!

Has Abel's tooth cut the surface yet? Once I felt the edges, it was just a couple of days before it was up and Reid was back to being relatively "normal". :) Now Finn's are *right* there...so, if he follows his brother, they'll be up by next weekend.

3 times per day!?! It takes us at least 20-30 minutes to feed them their evening meal...that would be a lot of work! Did your doc say to supplement one feeding with a solids feeding yet? I'm still not sure when that is supposed to happen.

Have you done any green veggies yet? We've done peas and green beans and they just are not fond of them. The peas are really good and the green beans were excellent too!

I'm making their food a little chunkier now too. Pretty soon they'll be on to finger foods! That will be fun and very messy!

It sounds like I should send you some salmon!! People are always giving us (Russian River Red--the best there is!) salmon, but we don't eat it. I wish we would, since it is SO good for you. The doc did mention for us to try it for our kids too. That would require me cooking it though...which I am too timid to do!

Once they move into the "Older Infant" room, they will feed them twice a day (solids). Right now, they just feed them solids by request. So, I'm having them feed them oatmeal and fruit in the morning.

It is a struggle to find the best scenerio for your family as far as $ coming in, your personal career goals and family time. I struggle with it every day! I do think, for me, part-time work would be the answer...but, the retirement benefits, etc. (until I am "vested"--another 2 years) are certainly important too. We go back and forth all of the time.

That's great that you've got a few free lance projects! Can I ask though...how do you find the time to work? I was thinking that maybe I could work a couple of hours a week from home, but honestly...there is no time when you are home! There is always something (or someone) that needs attention.

Oh! And I forgot to tell you (at least I think I did!)...guess how my husband found out our boys were identical????? BY READING YOUR BLOG!!! He NEVER reads comments on blogs...and, of course, the day after I wrote to you that I found our the results (but had not told him yet), he went to your blog and read the comment that I wrote. I was waiting for the snail-mailed letter to arrive (instead of the emailed copy). Anyway, he called me in and said, "Are you lying to the "Texas Twins" (that's what he calls you guys)????

Anyway...Funny, huh?

Not exactly what I had planned, but it was all good!

Are you guys drowning in the rain down there or what?!?!

Did you see? My mom sent us the flame Baby Legs. Now we should get our boys together and take a quadruplet flamed-Baby Legs shot! :) They are much snugger than the other two pairs that we have, so they don't fall off as easy. The other pairs seem to be stretchier or something.

Keep up the great work with A&O!

And congrats on your 6 month goal! That is amazing!!

Liz Jimenez said...

Go you! I can only hope I'll be saying the same thing, 5 1/2 months from now. It's rough going at the moment, and I really hate being a slave to the pump. But I'm not going to let myself give up before at least a month... Whew.

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Boobie Queen!!!