jordan and i had a lovely anniversary this weekend. five big ole' years! every anniversary it feels like it's been forever (in a good way), and just like yesterday (in a good way). but when i really stopped to think about the past five years, i was overwhelmed. we've moved across country. lived in four residences. remodeled two of them. changed jobs SIX times between the two of us. and grown two amazing little boys. who are now 2.5! it just seems like a lot. i'm hoping our next five years are a bit mellower. and instead of recounting these major life-shifters, we can recount memories of smaller moments that captured our hearts and imaginations. but onto bigger news!
i was curious about one of my presents upon presentation. a large manila envelope. unassuming. definitely not a card. i opened it and pulled out the contents. a picture of a baby on a tri-fold brochure. what's going on here?
many of you know that we aren't for certain what type of twins the boys are. we know friends, family and complete strangers who swear on their grave the boys are identical. we don't think so, but we have no proof either way. i've blogged about our dilemma here. well, we're about to have an answer soon. my very own husband, the one who without a doubt says the boys are fraternal, got me a "family" anniversary gift.
a DNA test!
does anyone want to start putting bets down?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
I'm willing to put down $100 they are identical. Even identical twins are not 100% identical and your boys look so similar.
We went through the same thing problem ourselves. My boys had separate sacs and separate placentas but that is not conclusive. They sent the placentas for testing and they came back 87% chance they were fraternal. We opted to do the test when they were small and I'm an idiot to have done so since they are SO OBVIOUSLY fraternal.
But when they were babies, Alex had blue eyes and Nate had brown hair. But we never even came close to mixing them up bc they looked so different!
Pics of the DNA swabbing:
http://jonandlaura.blogspot.com/2006/10/who-are-you-who-who-who-who.html
Oh yeah, I'm an idiot...
happy anniversary!!
I remember your post about your anniversary last year and getting your wedding album made like it was yesterday.
Happy Anniversary!
I'm going in on fraternal.
Happy anniversary!!
Jordan always gives the best gifts! But this one tops them all! Because FINALLY our minds will be put at ease. :)
Before meeting the boys last August, I thought that, without a doubt, they were identical. But after a upfront side-by-side (in person), I lowered the possibility of identicalness to 90%. I copied my official report that I wrote back in August 2008:
Abel and Oskar are truly The Incredible Identical Fraternal Twins. Based upon previous photos, individual personality descriptions and facial features, I scored an A+ in the initial identification test, despite the fact that I hadn't slept for 36 hours, 14 of which had been in an airport or airplane. I was quite impressed with myself! However, as time went on, I noticed that their differences are identical to the differences in my identical twins. Speaking from my own personal opinion, Oz and Abie have the same side profile, nose, eyes, and mouth. So do Finn and Reid. Oz and Abie have slightly different hair, face shapes and birth marks. As do Finn and Reid. We were told that we were having, without a doubt, fraternal twin boys by several sonographers, three obstetricians and one Perinatologist. The same scenario occurred with T and J! Before having met the boys in person, I would have bet that without a doubt, Oz and Abel were identical twins. But after meeting them in 3D, I would say I am about 90% certain that they are identical. And that is my Official Report on The Incredible Identical Fraternal Twins.
-----
If we are placing bets, I will officially go with my initial hunch that they are indeed identical. MARK. MY. WORDS!
Now, when do we find out?!?
Happy anniversary!
My bet is identical. I haven't had the test, I am sure my girls are identical and they look less alike than your boys. Different head and face shapes (from different positions in utero), slight jaw misplacement in one of them (probably for the same reason), totally different personalities and different weights until this month. But I have not yet found one single physical difference that could not be just caused by environmental circumstances. And cannot truly remember fraternal siblings that looked SO much like each other.
They seem so different to me. i'll have put my money on fraternal.
Happy Anniversary! And I am totally giggling at your gift. I vote identical, for sure! :-)
I always wanted to ask you that?!
I am going to go with identical. Same old story with mine: Definitely two placentas and two sacks. They even looked different as babies...because Jenson was a pound bigger. But as they filled out we started mixing them up... not very often but enough that I wanted to test them. 15 out of 15 genes match and 99% chance they are monozygotic. Now that I know I look back at pictures and I am like "DUH...what was I thinking?!" but in person they still look quite different (and act different). Most people don't struggle to tell them apart after a few minutes...which I think is a good thing.
It is funny though...sometimes I call them my "fake" identical twins...:)
i should act as bookie on this one... really, i just want to take money from carrie.
-jordan
I couldn't even hazard a guess...they do look so much alike...how close were they in weight when they were born? If it is less than 5 oz's apart, I guess identical. More than 5 oz's, I guess fraternal.
Happy belated anniversary!
Fraternal. And happy anniversary! You guys really deserve some down time. Here's to a mellow and happy next five years.
i know i am late with the betting but i vote with suealex and say fraternal. i am likely wrong as i have never won a horse race or the lottery but i always have to be in the minority.
Post a Comment