i'd like to join the great camera debate. my fellow twin bloggers have noted the wonderful difference a good lens makes (see unleashing the artist post on goddess). i couldn't agree more! you see, i'm a photography junkie. my thing is shooting buildings and landscapes, and i've always used an old school olympus with a wide angle. i love my camera and swore i'd stick by 'er during the whole digital revolution. a few years back we bought a tiny nikon coolpix mainly to throw in our backpack on our traveling adventures. we toyed with the idea of getting a digi SLR, but i just couldn't fathom forking over the cash, and abandoning my good film friend. well...there's a different story going on now.
my subject has changed dramatically in the past year. instead of capturing rock solid buildings, i'm now chasing around two rambunctious monkeys to capture "the essence" of the moment. not easy with a mediocre digital point-and-shoot. next to impossible with my SLR. here is an example of what my "good" camera can do with the limitations of indoor light and a moving target. oh, and out of this batch of 25 shots, i got 5 good ones, and it cost me $17 to get the film developed, printed and put on a CD, not to mention the cost of film!
so with that, i am now begging my husband for a digital SLR. because i'll be able to capture beautiful pictures of our children as they grow up. because it may even save us money in the long run (for those truly winner shots, that is!). because i love photography and don't want to be relegated to flat photos of the most precious subjects to us. because i need to indulge my passion with a fabulous new toy. because...this would be an excellent present for me for successfully taking care of the boys for the first year! reason enough.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





7 comments:
Those are great shots...certainly worth $17!
If you can convince J, you HAVE to tell me how you did it. I've been on the prowl for a digi SLR for many moons now...and I even asked for one for my 30th. You'd think that growing two humans would be reason enough to buy us a decent camera!
So, now I've scaled back my "want" to a measly $799 idiot-proof digi SLR available at O, A, F & R's favorite store...Costco!
I could have bought 1 1/2 cameras with the $$ we are spending to repair the garage door and my side-view mirrors.
Damnit!
Dear Jordan,
The Big #1 is coming right up...I think your beautiful wife deserves a token of your appreciation for surviving the first year as a stay at home momma of two boys! You are one lucky man.
Carrie
Lordy, I seem to have jump-started a trend! (see also snyderville.blogspot.com). I certainly don't have to convince you, you are a better photographer than I. You TOTALLY deserve it, and it will absolutely save you money in the long run. Do the math on processing, I bet it'd pay for itself in a year. Man, I should get some kind of kickback from Nikon or Canon... :-)
Good luck with the convincing!
BTW, those shots are just beautiful. Love them. But I know what you mean. It takes 100 shots to get a few really good ones. Yay, digital!
Just FYI, those pictures are worth way more than $17. They are beautiful.
I've never been into photography outside of just loving to have lots of images of friends through the years, but as I am taking so many digital images for us and the family, it's really hitting me how unsatisfied I am with our current camera. When I look at others images on their blogs it really hits home for me. That and all the darn red eye and poor coloring I get. GRRR...
I wonder if Brad would agree to that as our gift for the first year? ;)
Tracey -You are such a talented photographer...You deserve a camera that is commensurate with your special gift...I would love to buy it for you!
hi, found you via joy of twins, i love the pictures of your boys. we are eagerly awaiting our tax refund (yay for giving birth to two in one year) and then we are off to the camera shop. the p&s digital just can't cut it when you are chasing two. good luck in your quest, we are debating canon vis nikon and it is gonna' be a tough decision. smiles to you and your boys.
Post a Comment