


we decided to go IKEA, mainly because it's so darn affordable and we could do a lot of it ourselves. we also like the modern look. we bought everything way back in november because IKEA was running a nice promotion and our doors were on mega discount because of discontinuation. score! i started building the frames a few weeks after the boys started school, and had everything finished in less than a week. we were ready for our contractor to start! here's some pics of the kitchen gutted, walls and ceilings floated and cabs layed out:


we really didn't change the layout. the only addition is a row of bench cabinets along the wall for extra storage and seating. the main components of the remodel were new cabs and counters, new recessed lighting, smooth walls and ceiling, new micro/hood and a wine fridge, new sink, faucet and backsplash. jordan's good friend is a contractor and he loaned us his two guys for the job. ramone and mauro are brothers and they were fantastic. i wish i had a picture of them! the boys were totally in awe of them and talked about them every. single. day. and every day they came home from school and marveled at what the brothers accomplished. i also have to give a huge shout out to jordan's mom, nana, who hosted us at her house every day for the past few weeks for after school snacks, play and dinner. we could not have done this with out her. period. so here's the unveiling (but remember, it's still not finished, organized or very clean!):





i still have to seal the backsplash, put handles on the bench cabinets, paint and then organize, organize, organize. and clean, clean, clean! and look for a table that works with the new bench seating. but it's a far cry from what it used to be. oh, and we are eventually going to get to the floor and we're leaning towards cork. but that's for another time. for now, we're just going to enjoy our new cooking and dining digs!

7 comments:
very impressive work. i really like the backsplash, it is such a nice counterpoint to the cabinets. great work!
we are three years out of our remodeled kitchen and it still is not done, they say a carpenter's home is never finished.
Oh man. Color me majorly jealous! I love it, and the backsplash is really great!
LOVE IT! I am seriously jealous. We did the best we could with our kitchen (which hadn't been updated since the 1940s) but all we did was paint the cabinets, new hardware, new sink, faucet and added a dishwasher. I would love MORE THAN LIFE ITSELF to have kitchen drawers that I don't need two hands and elbow grease to close.
I LOVE IKEA - GREAT JOB!!!!
Awesome work Tracy! Looks wonderful!
Wow, guys! It looks fabulous! The color of the cabinets really jives with the riverrock backsplash! I love it!
And the sink rules! What is it made of? I can't wait to get rid of my white sink. It is nice and big, but stains and gets marked up with every dish I wash.
The addition of the storage/seating combo was a great idea!
The kitchen was certainly worth all of those dishes that you had to wash in the bathroom sink!
Love it! I'm so jealous :-)
Post a Comment